MORE
General Outdoor Discussion

Backpacking Wisconsin? UP Michigan?

2/19/15 @ 9:34 AM
INITIAL POST
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
My wife and I are looking to do some backpacking, start with just a weekend trip. Just wondering if anyone on here ever does any backpacking, and if so do you have any pointers of nice weekend trips. Thanks, Brian
Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
4/29/16 @ 9:23 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
Isle Royal is one place I have not been to but would like to hike. Guess it's on my bucket list.
3/8/16 @ 5:36 AM
kingbass
User since 12/21/01
Isle Royale!! I did an 11 day trip two years ago. we hiked 105 miles in 11 days. Can't wait to go back!!
12/22/15 @ 7:25 PM
MattP
User since 6/19/01
My fiance and I did our first backpacking trip this year. We went to Isle Royale National Park in Upper Michigan. It was awesome! We hiked 41 miles in 5 days. The highlight of the trip was the last morning. It was raining, and we were hiking by 5:00 am. We had been hoping to see a moose, but our hopes were quickly fading. All of a sudden, there was a big bull probably 30 feet off the trail! We learned a lot, and took several more backpacking trips to Zion, Bryce Canyon, and Rocky Mountain National Parks. We'll be going back to Isle Royale next year to hike across the whole island.
11/25/15 @ 9:12 AM
late bite
User since 3/4/09
My wife was unable to go so i went solo. I think she would have enjoyed it. I think she would really enjoy the porkies. Staying in a cabin sounds a bit more in her category of relaxing. Not that she doesnt enjoy being outside. She has not found a comfortable mindset with the whole tent thing yet and maybe never will. So for me if i want her to do that stuff i know i need to be openminded to those hikes as well. She really did enjoy our two day hikes in Glaciar National Park so there is hope to do some local hike in the future.
11/17/15 @ 7:20 PM
Joshuatreewi
User since 6/15/01
If they got out and enjoyed it they should look at the porcupine mountains wilderness. A nice trail to hike is the pinkerton down to the lake then over to the big and little carp rivers. Both rivers have scenic areas and the big carp has Brooke trout. And if they like hiking but don't like the tent they have small cabins in the back country with a small word burning stove and bunks. Another trail is the superior hiking trail in the arrow head of Minnesota it has trailheads about every ten miles and a shuttle service hits most so you can hike out and ride back or some of the hotels run shuttles so you can day hike and hotel it at night.
11/17/15 @ 2:59 PM
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
Late Bite, so did you ever go? I am curious at how it turned out, and if your wife enjoyed it. And anything you learned.
9/28/15 @ 8:15 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02
Wet naps moist towelettes will make your trip better.
9/18/15 @ 5:05 PM
late bite
User since 3/4/09
Going backpacking with my wife this fall. Going to hike near Munising along the lake. Really looking forward to it. Hoping it will be a good experience for her (us). Will be our first time hiking and spending the night in a tent. We have day hiked before but never an overnight. She is a bit reserved so looking for some pointers from the female side if possible. Any pointers really on making it more comfortable would be greatly appreciated. She loved hiking in Montana last year but gassed out on day two, so hoping she will find this allot easier.
6/9/15 @ 12:02 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
I second the Porcupine Mountains and the Superior Hiking trail. Having hiked both of them as a boy scout leader, the Porkies were awesome, slept on the shores of Lake Superior every night. Bears were an issue then and I am sure they still are today. The Superior Hiking Trail is fun as well, lots of little weekend trips. There are critters, but never had bear issues. The SHTA Superior Hiking Trail association has a great book and maps available. Another option is stating in some of the state parks heading up the North Shore, which all have access to the Superior Hiking Trail as well.
6/2/15 @ 1:27 PM
Carp King
User since 8/7/01
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore.
4/3/15 @ 7:59 AM
paddler1
paddler1
User since 12/10/14
One option is to pack in to one of Porcupine Mountain State Park's yurts. Check them out on the Michigan State Park website. I snow shoed into one 2 winters ago. Very cool!
2/24/15 @ 10:11 AM
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
Yeah, we will probably wait till mid September or later.
2/23/15 @ 1:59 PM
Cold Front
User since 7/9/01
Wherever and whenever you decide to go, I would advise checking out the bug situation in advance. My daughter and friends planned a nice summer backpack trip to Northern Wisconsin. When they got there the mosquitoes were horrible. I am sure it was a short window but sometimes they are so thick that it is miserable. They quit after 1 day with hundreds of bites. Maybe they caught a bad year but I would check it out as part of your planning process. Mrt.
2/22/15 @ 8:42 AM
Hildy Boys
Hildy Boys
User since 12/14/09
Thanks for the tips guys. The Superior hiking trail looks awesome. Porcupine mountians are another option we had been considering.
2/21/15 @ 11:19 AM
Robbollio
Robbollio
User since 10/17/04
+1 for the porcupine mountains!
Displaying 1 to 15 of 22 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE