LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Is anyone OK with deer hunting in N. Wisconsin the way it is?

9/22/14 @ 12:13 AM
INITIAL POST
drojsir
User since 1/30/08
Cause this sucks. If the reason we have few deer is because hunters (we) shot too many does then why doesn't the darn herd recover? I pay attention to the species of shrubs and trees that are growing and there is absolutely tons of stuff deer used to chow so much you wouldn't even see it when it was young like say serviceberry and sumac?anybody notice how mush of this stuff grows on our roadsides now? you won't see it..at least not less then about 6 feet tall if our deer ever come back. I don't have much time left..who does? and I would really like my beloved north woods deer herd to come back please Smile
Displaying 76 to 90 of 470 posts
11/17/14 @ 9:34 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01
Fishfinder, what did they say?
11/17/14 @ 4:16 PM
fishfinder101
fishfinder101
User since 1/1/10
Did anyone catch Deer Hunt Wisconsin 2014 which has been on tv the last week. Alot of the discussion on this thread was talked about by a variety of people.
11/11/14 @ 7:45 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
'I don't think they eat drunk pumpkins...... ' Made me think of a guy I know who we always referred to as the Great Pumpkin from Charlie Brown lol.
11/11/14 @ 3:45 AM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10
Imagine he teaches somebodies kids
11/10/14 @ 9:34 PM
Summers Off
User since 5/9/06
Better yet. Maybe the DNR could outsource the raising of the deer to the Ontario Provincial Govt. That way we would have "tougher" deer that could handle all the long hard winters. In addition, the DNR should introduce more elk into Northern Wisconsin so the wolves change their diet and eat more elk than whitetails like they do in Ontario. This would also allow the natives to have a few more options when night hunting. Wink
11/10/14 @ 7:01 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
First we need to infect the deer that are rekeased with rabies so when the wolves eat them it poisons them. I don't think we need to worry about hunters being preyed on by wolves. I don't think they eat drunk pumpkins......
11/10/14 @ 6:15 PM
Summers Off
User since 5/9/06
Maybe the DNR needs to supplement the deer population in Northern Wisconsin like it does the walleye, muskie and pheasant population across the state. We could have large deer farms in southern and central Wisconsin where we could raise tens of thousands of deer each year. Each county could have a certain number of deer released on public and private lands. We could release doe/fawn pairs or triples in early summer to reduce fawn predication by bears and ensure that their is plenty of food for the stocked deer. Just think about the genetics that the DNR could introduce into Northern Wisconsin....it would be like Buffalo County on steroids in the Northern third of the state. QDM for the entire Northern 1/3 of the state. And since we are stocking does every year, the meat and slob hunters can still fill a dozen $2 anterless tags like the good ole days. To keep the trophy hunters happy, each hunter can only shoot one buck with the bow and one buck with a gun and it must score 120"+. Wink
11/10/14 @ 1:25 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
"Its kinda funny the same people complaining about the deer herd are wondering how many deer there going to shoot." Who said that?
11/10/14 @ 1:02 PM
pike eyes
User since 12/28/10
What would be more of a concern then having to walk through snow is the ground browse being taken from the deer herd so early in the winter. The remaining acorns/moss/etc. The temps are going to be right at or just above freezing during the storm witch means wet snow. This will encapsulate the food then with the zero temps afterward freeze everything tight. Way to early on a already weak herd. Its kinda funny the same people complaining about the deer herd are wondering how many deer there going to shoot.
11/10/14 @ 12:55 PM
lightning95
lightning95
User since 1/7/14
Winter wolf predation will forever limit the deer herd to these unhuntable numbers. I hunt private land in price county and haven't seen a deer in the three weekends I have hunted. No tracks, no sign other than wolves howling.
11/10/14 @ 11:23 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
Don't think it's looking to good for you Lakeshiner. It is suppose to stay pretty cold after this snow so it doesn't look like it will melt. I feel the same as you and really hope we get less snow than is predicted. 2-3 inches in Dunn Co already....
11/10/14 @ 11:09 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
I checked a couple spots out for gun season in the national forest. All had tracks in the snow, not a ton but deer were around. Few rubs and scrapes. Stuck out in the snow real easy. Looks about the same as past years, but that's not saying much. After the fresh snow on Saturday night we went back and saw a few fresh tracks going past one spot on Sunday. Few around anyway, probably won't see them during gun season lol. Did have a nice 10 on camera, maybe 18" wide. Night though. I'm more concerned about the snow this year. If they really get 16" it will make my walk a huge pain. Takes long enough the way it is. I usually don't see much sign once the snow gets deep, they move out. Sick of these early winters already. A few inches is good, not a foot or more. Dull
11/8/14 @ 6:02 PM
klobros
klobros
User since 12/12/13
That's sad to hear. Maybe they should bring back earn a buck in northern wis, you have to shoot a predator first before you get a buck tag!
11/8/14 @ 5:19 PM
samfox
User since 3/17/09
Just got back from northern Vilas co., walked a lot of logging trails, saw no rubs, no scrapes and only one track which was being followed by wolf tracks. Fresh snow a couple of days. I've had it not going back, 44 years and it's over.
11/5/14 @ 9:38 PM
musky nut
musky nut
User since 7/20/12
Thanks Beertown for posting that link. I checked it out and did the survey. I hunt Ashland Cty and they want to increase the herd....good move. I know it's gonna take some time and hopefully no doe tags for a long time.
Displaying 76 to 90 of 470 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE