SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Technology in Hunting

7/28/14 @ 7:39 PM
INITIAL POST
NorthwoodsLabs
User since 1/7/13
Specifically I'm talking about these new trail cameras that send images directly to a smart phone. I see a couple of major ethical issues with this technology. For instance one could set these cameras along deer trails near a treestand. These cameras could then alert the hunter that a deer is coming down a trail to their stand. Thus, no need to sit still and focus on seeing the deer before they see you. Also, this would allow the hunter to be at the ready with gun or bow facing the direction the deer is coming. My second example would be baiting, say for bear. A hunter could be instantly alerted when a bear is at the bait site and then stalk in and shoot the bear. No longer would they need to sit long hours in the stand watching. Now I'm not saying these things are happening yet, but I can definitely foresee it. I think use of this technology is unethical and really takes the "hunt" out of hunting. Also, what kind of message are we sending to youth and non-hunters with all this fancy technology. That you don't have to have knowledge of your quarry and put in time and effort when you can just go to Gander Mountain and buy all kinds of high tech gear? I hope this isn't the future of hunting. Anyone else concerned with the ever increasing use of technology in hunting?
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
8/14/14 @ 9:12 PM
SB Dad
User since 8/16/09
I agree,less is more!
8/12/14 @ 10:15 AM
lovestofishnhunt
PRO MEMBER User since 6/13/06
Flyguy's comments are the reason why I don't get into the crossbow debate. High powered scopes, scent lok and ozonics (which I think is a waste of money by the way), ATV's, cell phones, GPS units, thermacells, trail cams, portable stands, blinds, accurate rifles and muzzleloaders, 80% let off, food plots of every kind of green imaginable, bonded bullets, range finders, custom dial turrets, synthetic fabrics, portable heating devices, etc. etc. etc. start stacking the odds in the hunter's corner with each inovation. It would be hard to bash folks who use picture sending cameras and not any of these other advancements in hunting. I actually gave up on using cameras. I felt that I was pushing deer too much when I would check them. Plus, the patterns change right when bow hunting starts on my property. Half of our fields have corn in them, but the farmer chops it right around the first week of bowhunting for silage. As soon as this happens, the deer's patterns immediately change. To me, its fun noticing rubs and scrapes, checking a rub line, and that anticipation of not knowing exactly whats out there really keeps me going throughout the season. I enjoy the hunt a lot more now that I don't use the cameras. To me, it was an unnecessary stress. I can remember when I started purchasing my own equipment for hunting. My first season of bowhunting consisted of 1 pair of light camo pants, one pair of light boots, a hat, a jacket, and a t-shirt that were camo. My dad bought my bow, arrows, heads, and a cheap Remington climbing tree stand. I had no truck, no ATV, no late season clothing, not much of anything and it was the best time of my hunting career. The excitement and the anticipation was second to none. I find that as I accumulate more hunting related items to make the job a bit easier, the hunt also looses a bit of its luster. The less I had, the more fun it seemed to be.
8/10/14 @ 1:36 PM
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
I wonder if similar issues were had with.... the first rifle scope..... the first ground blind that looked like the foliage you were hiding in..... scent cover..... the first binoculars and scouting scope... Amazing how everything transforms hunting...... I am 100 percent of using these devises as the way you describe them...however if you ethically theres no difference in a pic being sent to a camera than having to go get the pic and put it in your camera.
8/7/14 @ 4:53 PM
theimer
theimer
User since 12/11/05
for placing on deer trails how many cameras are you going to need per stand? most times if I see five deer they come down 5 different trails. if I know of a pinch point where deer trails meet up that's where my stand is going to be. for the bear one its only unethical if he just drives up and shoots the bear. if you still need to put a stalk on it. then its still a fair game and ethical to me. what's difference between this and spot and stalking. people drive around spot a bear then stalk it. bear hounds guys drive from bait sight to bait sight and when the dogs go off they let them out to tree it. same ethics to me.
8/7/14 @ 3:33 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
Here you go Chuck. I had heard about this, I want to say it got shutdown. This article is old. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/05/07/AR2005050701270.html
8/7/14 @ 3:21 PM
thechief
User since 5/2/05
my tech is my trusty weapon, and a compass. I enjoy still hunting, reading the sign and locating Mr. tall-wide-heavy tines and pointing into the wind. archery is about the same just in a tree. nothing wrong with those who like the gadgets either.
7/31/14 @ 10:50 PM
chuckc
User since 3/21/14
well, the next logical step is to have a small blind, with a remote controlled crossbow mounted and waiting for the deer to get there, then you can aim it and shoot it, while watching that Packer game at home. We have the technology. . . . ChuckC
7/31/14 @ 7:38 PM
lookn
lookn' 4 PnY
User since 7/15/05
Unethical hunters will be unethical no matter what tool they have to use. As was stated before service plans are to costly right now but someday I will have one. Scouting and cameras are the best part of hunting imo.
7/30/14 @ 2:02 PM
Mr.Bass1984
Mr.Bass1984
User since 6/12/10
I don't use them mainly because of price, but I definitely see how they can benefit certain people. I for one live 240 miles from my hunting property so I would really like to see what pics I have on my cameras without driving all the way to the woods. I haven't been able to check my cams since Memorial Day. My uncle checks the cameras, but he's too technologically inept to even want to learn how to send the pics to me with texting.
7/30/14 @ 11:18 AM
centralwiwalleyeslayer2
User since 2/15/10
to each his own i just hang cameras preseason to find where the deer are. I don't have a lot of time with work school and every day life to spend 4 to 5 days hunting i am lucky if i get a weekend to hunt. So these are vital for me in locating deer.
7/28/14 @ 8:53 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
I guess that could happen. Right now the cameras and service contract are to expensive for most people to use them but I can see the prices going down a lot in just the next couple years. My biggest fear in using them would be deciding to watch the Packer game instead of going hunting and then get texted a parade of Boone and Crockets walking by my stand!
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing geared up by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE