LAKES
REPORTS
FORUMS
TRAVEL
DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
General Hunting Discussion

Frustrated with deer hunting in Wisconsin?

12/2/13 @ 11:05 AM
INITIAL POST
519vx
User since 7/7/05
This poster is up in a lot of places in northern Wisconsin. Make the call, and send an email to Kevin Wallenfang, head big game biologist for WDNR and Cathy Stepp and let them know how you feel. [email protected] [email protected]
Displaying 76 to 90 of 133 posts
1/13/14 @ 1:59 PM
foosdog
foosdog
User since 12/19/01
Still hunting Wisconsin but I am going to focus on Ohio.... Wink
1/12/14 @ 2:51 PM
qdmaguy
User since 6/14/10
Here's what a grass roots movement in MN is doing about a poorly managed deer herd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkq_LQwMVU8&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DMkq_LQwMVU8&app=desktop
1/8/14 @ 9:49 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
They are actually doing a lot of logging up by me in the national forest this winter. Many trees are marked and I saw the machinery out during muzzleloader season. Glad to see it getting done.
1/8/14 @ 9:37 AM
BigAL on BAGO
User since 6/18/01
Hopefully this major cold snap.....lowest sustained in 25 yrs wont take what few deer are left out there. We've been lucky a severe winter kill has not occurred for awhile. That's all we need to add to the list of an overpopulation of deer predators, lack of hunter restraint, and a DNR that cant count or refuses to listen to sportsman. Like Clint says: "don't piss down my back and tell me its raining". I can tell you boys that the 1980's were the good ol' days. Cool
12/30/13 @ 4:00 PM
FLAN
User since 2/21/06
Yamatroller, you are 100% correct. Don't know why the logging stopped, other than the boom in plastics. I will be choosing Paper for now on at the store.
12/29/13 @ 6:00 PM
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
Just a thought on opening access....I also understand that WY and WI are completely different. Just hunted wyoming late season whitetail with my uncle. They have a landowners tag that you give to the land owner when you harvest a deer. The landowner gets 16 dollars for each deer shot. Only 22 dollars for the tag. Just a thought for here...you have too many deer, get paid to let people on
12/13/13 @ 5:07 AM
yamatroller
User since 5/7/06
We hunt in Forest County and until you get the Forest Service to do more logging the deer hunting is only going to get worse. Mature woods will not support many deer. The bear population at least by us is knocked way back and yes there are a few wolves but there is nothing for the deer to eat during a bad winter.Get close to town where there is private land and there are quite a few deer but in the National Forest its getting a bit sparse and its isn't going to get any better till they log.
12/11/13 @ 5:06 PM
bigmallard
User since 2/18/05
I gave up deer hunting in WI. Both gun and Bow,why? Because we have a cabin in Vilas county and saw a total of 5 deer all year long. That was from the first weekend in April when we open the cabin until the week before the gun deer season. Even the weekend of the youth hunt we saw not one person in Blaze orange. Yes, we were out and about, matter of fact we heard only 3 shots. Don't know if they were at deer or other game. Plans are to sell lots of equipment. Guys looking pm me.
12/5/13 @ 4:22 PM
FLAN
User since 2/21/06
We can talk about it till we're red in the face, but until license sales start to dramatically drop there will be no change. Crying
12/4/13 @ 11:42 PM
fishballs
User since 4/8/04
my 2 cents on this,our group hunted the 9 mile swamp and ada lake area for 20 years and left there 6 yrs ago because of what we saw coming.too many wolves and bears yes, but in my opinion its the lack of logging which provided the food for those deer. in the 1990's you could drive into wabeno on Saturday night and see lots of huge bucks in the back of trucks and during the day you'd hear shooting all day. then about 1999 something changed? we didn't see deer or hear shooting, the last year there was 2005 and I heard 5 shots all opening day and that was enough for me to leave the big woods I loved so much. I hunted Waupaca cty the next year and saw 66 deer on opening day taking a nice 9ptr and a doe. now were in taylor cty and its lean up there too.
12/4/13 @ 6:30 PM
bowtech Dee
bowtech Dee
User since 10/23/12
Lol...now we got a person saying the DNR is right.....WOW
12/4/13 @ 1:58 PM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13
There are thousands more wolves than the dnd will admit. The whole numbers thing is a scam. Deer numbers also. Its a very sick joke. It actualy indcredible how much mis-information we are fed.. Choose for yourself to spit it out or digest it like sheep
12/4/13 @ 1:58 PM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13
There are thousands more wolves than the dnd will admit. The whole numbers thing is a scam. Deer numbers also. Its a very sick joke. It actualy indcredible how much mis-information we are fed.. Choose for yourself to spit it out or digest it like sheep
12/4/13 @ 12:09 PM
MeteorHillsMan
User since 11/11/08
You guys are dead on with the number of predators. In units 18 and 19 we finally had some snow cover. The number of predator tracks were amazing, Not to mention actual sightings--we saw a bear, 2 different wolves, a coyote and a bobcat. I'm sure this is leading to nocturnal movement.....along with other factors.
12/4/13 @ 11:54 AM
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13
There are thousands more wolves than the dnd will admit. The whole numbers thing is a scam. Deer numbers also. Its a very sick joke. It actualy indcredible how much mis-information we are fed.. Choose for yourself to spit it out or digest it like the rest of the sheep
Displaying 76 to 90 of 133 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE