SEARCH
MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Self Catches

8/2/15 @ 12:24 PM
INITIAL POST
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15
Kind of a gross topic but I was wondering how many have had this happen to them . The first picture is a 5/0 wide gap worm hook that got shot into my hand as I was landing a fish. I didn't realize I was hooked until after I had grabbed the fish took a look at it then released it then looked at my hand.can you say OUCH Took it out myself and kept on fishing
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
8/3/15 @ 5:24 PM
svitreum
svitreum
User since 8/29/06
Twice while fishing Lake Michigan trolling for salmon. The first went in all the way to the shank (treble from mag spoon), that was buried in the palm just above the wrist and directly below the pinky finger. Removed the hook from the split ring, finished catching my limit, and filleted the salmon (with queer gazes from several others cleaning theirs). Went home, had a few beers and went to ER. Doc wanted to cut and push through which would have been impossible as it was buried to shank. As she debated what to do, I grabbed the needle nose and tore it out. She was grateful for not having to deal with it. The other time I was able to cut the mag spoon treble and just push the point around and out. 2nd time was much easier and I just kept fishing. Can't blame either one on a thrashing fish, just plain stupidity.
8/3/15 @ 5:04 PM
Steve @ G & S
User since 6/15/01
I think that anyone who fishes long enough will find a hook or two buried in them. I was filming for my TV show years ago in Miami, fishing the canals for peacock bass. Tossing a shallow crankbait, I had about a five pound peacock grab the lure. After a great fight, I went to lip the bass when it flipped. It was hooked on the front hook, but the rear hook buried deep into the meaty part of my thumb. I didn't want to scream on camera, so I had the cameraman shut off the camera and unhook the bass. He put it in the livewell and I got my Gerber tool out. Gritting my teeth, I grabbed the shank of the hook and yanked it out! To say it smarted a bit was an understatement! We got the bleeding stopped, put a Band-Aid on the hole and continued the filming. Formerly Steve @ G & S
8/3/15 @ 3:00 PM
BugleTrout
BugleTrout
User since 9/27/01
I thought that I posted this during the weekend but it must not have loaded from my phone. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKAAGWZskGg The secret is to have someone hold the eyelet end of the shank down so you're pulling the hook straight out. I put a nice length of braided string in my little waterproof box that has bandaids and triple antibiotics that I keep in my tackle box after watching this.
8/3/15 @ 1:07 PM
Ed Franko
User since 5/6/15
On a guide trip a few weeks ago I got this hook job while trying to grab a clients fish. This hook job had the fish still hanging shaking like Heck and the 12 year old eyes were as big as silver dollars. After getting the fish off I told the kid and his dad to go on and fish as it was not a big deal. I did go on and push the hook through and cut the point off and remove the hook. I have never bleed so much but did not want to scare the kid. i kept tell him it really didn't hurt and assured him I did not need to go to the hospital. after it was all over and we were still fishing the kid looked at me and said that really hurt didn't it. I said yep thought I was going to wet myself. He just smiled.
8/2/15 @ 8:51 PM
Ulbian
User since 9/24/03
Night fishing for muskies. Hooked a mid 30's pike, flipped my headlamp on and saw it was a pike so I just hoisted it in the boat. It had the middle treble in its mouth. I step over it to grab a pliers and it flipped up. Rear treble gets caught in a boat seat, front treble buried in my right calf. Fish thrashing wildly and it tore my leg up pretty good. That one wasn't released, to get it to stop thrashing I punched it in the head to knock the dang thing out. A few years ago a partner caught a decent muskie and it was in the net. Even though he has unhooked numerous fish before it doesn't make a person immune to getting hooked. He reaches in to peel the net back, fish goes nuts and buries a treble in his hand at the knuckle on his index finger and came out by his ring finger knuckle. He yelps and says he's hooked. I grab a hook cutter and start cutting anything I can to free him. He's still determined he wants to get that fish free but I made him sit on a boat seat to calm down and handed him a bottle of whiskey and three aspirin and instruct him to start pounding that bottle. The hook never hit anything major like a tendon which was shocking and he fished the rest of the weekend. Another buddy got hooked through his elbow joint. Back side of your elbow, in above the knobby part. Hook buried. The guy hardly winced and took a vise grips and simply yanked it out and kept going. That one still makes me cringe the most.
8/2/15 @ 7:59 PM
shadling1
User since 1/17/12
Too many over the years. Only 2 trips to the ER though. Once had a smallie bury Mustad triple grip past the bend of the hook into my thumb. The barb was actually pushed up under my nail. Was close to home and fishing with a buddy. Had my bro pick me up at the landing, went to the ER. Hour and a half later was back on the water fishing. Strangest one ever was last year. Had the dorsal spine of a smallie stab in and break off in my palm. Was in so deep they had to cut my palm open to get it out. Only 2 stitches bUT still amazing it went that deep into my hand.
8/2/15 @ 2:51 PM
dbuchmann
dbuchmann
User since 2/17/05
Had this one happen last year. Reached down to land a 4 lb bass. One hook under the skin on my thumb the other in the lip of the bass shaking its head. Pulled it out and kept fishing.
Displaying 1 to 13 of 13 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE