MORE
General Fishing Discussion

Humminbird Helix 5

2/1/15 @ 7:11 PM
INITIAL POST
iceman8
iceman8
User since 2/17/06
I am looking at buying a new depth finder for my boat and the Humminbird Helix 5 SI sonar/GPS combo caught my eye. It has side imagining and down imaging. My question is does anyone have any experience or ever played around with one?? I know they are brand new but just curious if anyone got to try one out before they were released to the general public?? I see it has a micro SD card slot, does it also have a regular SD card slot also?? Guess I might have to take a ride to Cabelas and see if they have one on display or would be willing to take one out of the box so I can take a better look at it. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts
10/27/15 @ 8:40 PM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
I was able to use my Helix a bit at the end of last ice season. I really like the 2d and 2d zoom split screen when I fish and of course the GPS for finding spots. Great bang for the buck.
10/27/15 @ 8:36 PM
fillet-o-carp
fillet-o-carp
User since 12/1/12
I just got the xi 9 20 ice ducer for my helix side image unit so I can ice fish with it and the case . Can't use side imaging but can use flasher mode and gps and all the other features. Was 90 bucks for transducer and 130 for the ice case for it . Now I can use my investment in the winter also . Plus I got my usual ice 35 for back up
10/22/15 @ 11:51 AM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
I have recently made the switch frmo Lowrance to Bird, I am running Onyx's on my boat, but been looking at the Helix 5 ice and the 7 for my sons boat. I am impressed with these units.
10/18/15 @ 9:11 AM
Brad Durick
User since 3/31/16
I have now spent a lot of time with my Helix and it is a solid unit for the money. Humminbird has changed the game by making the top end technology that is side imaging affordable to everyone. I am very excited now that the Helix 7 is out and the bigger units are on the way.
7/5/15 @ 5:40 PM
Brody McWilliams
Brody McWilliams
User since 5/7/15
Helix units are very solid units for the money, I'd say I wouldn't hesitate if that is what you are looking at.
6/24/15 @ 7:17 AM
oldwalt
User since 8/9/01
Fleet Farm has these on sale this week for $ 269.99 Smile
3/29/15 @ 4:49 PM
paddler1
paddler1
User since 12/10/14
I'm bummed that I spent the money on the Navionics Hot maps Premium. A very knowledgeable gentleman at the Hoffman Estates Cabela's explained why the premium chip only shows 5' contours while the mobil app shows 1' contours. the app has the software of the PLATNIUM. Even contacting Navionics failed to reveal this. So, it looks like the LakeMaster Plus would definitely be the better way to go. Another $150... Crying Crying Crying
3/29/15 @ 3:38 PM
fillet-o-carp
fillet-o-carp
User since 12/1/12
there is also a new lakemaster plus card that actually has satellite image of lake with contours overlaying a real picture with weed beds, shallow rock piles, docks , downed trees , and feeder streams.......1000 time better than navionics . lowrance is falling way behind and way over priced. fleetfarm is only place that I found that had the plus maps so I guess all the major sporting good stores are following in lowrance's foot steps of being way behind lately . and the kids that work at cabelas,scheels,dicks,gander are all idiots . as usual I knew more about the new products than they did with just a little bit of reading
3/29/15 @ 1:52 AM
fillet-o-carp
fillet-o-carp
User since 12/1/12
Fleet farm . I just bought one for 489.00 helix si And they have them on display . Appleton and oshkosh
2/28/15 @ 12:00 PM
iceman8
iceman8
User since 2/17/06
I am going to buy the Helix 5 SI. I like the idea of side and down imaging because I want to be able to scan brush piles for fish from the side and the down imaging should work pretty good when fish are hugging the bottom and being finicky and also when I head out catfishing. I will keep my current Lakemaster chip in my handheld Lowrance and get a new up to date chip. I might even get the auto chart software because there are few lakes up north that I fish that don't have contours and I would like to have a contours for. Its going to cost me extra if I do decide to go for the auto chart chip and software but its not necessary right now and can wait. I appreciate all the feedback everyone has contributed so far. I have looked at Gander Mountain and Cabelas in GB and neither have one on display yet which I hate because I always want to play around with one before I buy it. It sounded like Cabelas in GB will have one on display soon. JUSWANNASHOOT the unit with the side imaging and down imaging is the unit that says that it is side imaging. You will have to check the box to make sure that it has both but that is the unit.
2/16/15 @ 9:19 PM
Fletch Sweeney
User since 1/17/10
model 409640-1 has both SI and DI and GPS model 409640-1KVD same features also some KVD baits and different cosmetics I just talked to a customer service person at Humminbird today. I was looking to see if the helix would share info with my 898C(yes) I basically am looking for an ice fishing gps that will work with the same maps, and easier transfer of waypoints. I currently use a lowrance handheld with lakemaster chip, and I have to convert waypoints before I can transfer (twice a year). If I used the helix I could easily transfer with no need to convert(humminbird and lowrance use different formats and need to be converted in order to work in opposite units) the helix is still not a handheld, but it is smaller than most and wouldn't be that bad carrying, maybe would even work mounted on the handlebars of the sled or atv. trackerat, the microchip will work in all units with the included adapter, but you are correct in that your current SD size chip will not work in the helix. You could peddle the larger chip and purchase a new micro and just have one for both units?
2/12/15 @ 5:02 PM
trackerrat
trackerrat
User since 7/12/06
I have lakemaster Wisconsin version 4 and nothing is gonna slide out of that chip. I want to get a helix was just hoping my chip would work but doesn't appear it's going to.
2/12/15 @ 4:19 PM
JUSWANNASHOOT
User since 11/24/08
Iceman, Just wondering if you made a choice. I could not find the Helix 5 with both side and down imaging. Could you give an exact model number and price. Thanks
2/11/15 @ 11:46 PM
paddler1
paddler1
User since 12/10/14
trackerrat, The guy at Cabela's explained that the Micro chip is actually in the macro chip(I guess it slides out) so when you purchase LakeMaster chips you're actually getting two chips one micro and one macro. The Helix 5 slot takes the Micro, and a larger unit that was displayed next to it accepted that Macro. He also explained that all the data is stored on the Micro and the Macro is more or less just a means of fitting the larger slot of the other units. With this understanding, you can only use one chip at a time. The macro with the micro inside, or the micro alone. Kind of a nice feature LakeMaster thought of, especially if you wanted to share chips with a buddy who has a different unit. Also, some states are grouped by region, while states like Wisconsin and Minnesota have their own chips.
2/11/15 @ 5:33 PM
trackerrat
trackerrat
User since 7/12/06
So my lakemaster card for my 597 won't fit in the helix? I'm confused.
Displaying 1 to 15 of 20 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
ice drilled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE