SEARCH
MORE
Fly Fishing

Value of a fly rod?

1/25/14 @ 7:59 PM
INITIAL POST
jason21nl
User since 8/12/07
I have a Fenwick HMG GFF 704 with a SN#P389388. It also says AFTA line #4. I have no idea the age of the rod, or really anything else about it. Fly fishing isn't really my thing. I'm trying to get a general idea of the value and what I could possibly sell it for. I appreciate any feedback given.
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
10/21/14 @ 8:55 PM
voldie
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/11
Thanks for the link. Was very helpful. The rod I have has both rod tips and also the cloth bag it came in to keep all the pieces seperated.
10/21/14 @ 4:46 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
Reason you couldn't find much was that both major references of Montague rods had Arcadian misspelled. Anyway, here you go... http://fishnbanjosplace.yuku.com/topic/11/History-and-value-of-Montague-Rods#.VEbS7GB0zIU Keep in mind though that condition is a huge part of the value of cane rods. Nice examples of even common rods can go for 10x what the going rate of a well used rod is.
10/21/14 @ 7:41 AM
voldie
PRO MEMBER User since 2/8/11
I have a Montague Arcadian 4 piece bamboo fly rod that someone had given to me. I had searched the internet to try and find out the value of it and could not really find any information other than it is a little rare. Can anyone tell me what the value of this rod might be? I may possibly be willing to sell.
3/10/14 @ 8:10 AM
RockRiverTom
User since 4/27/02
Go to classicflyrodforum.com and post your question on the rod ID thread. You'll get better information if you post close up photos of the rod hardware; reel seat handle, ferrules, etc. Lots of very knowledgeable guys on that site; they should have an answer for you.
3/9/14 @ 8:46 PM
hook jr
hook jr
User since 1/1/09
I just bought a Ralph W. Smith bamboo rod (4 piece) at an auction. Very small "chips" on the handle. Looks brand new. Any idea what it might be worth or who I could take it to for an appraisal? I live in the Fond du Lac area. Tx Rg
1/26/14 @ 3:21 PM
Troy Stoeger
Troy Stoeger
User since 4/2/02
Agreed with Ditto on the value. Even then, you'll have to find the right cat to buy it. Fenwick stuff isn't all that popular in the fly rod market anymore (unless its an early one and you find a collector that wants it) though they aren't bad rods. If I were you, I would just string it up and fish it.
1/25/14 @ 10:42 PM
ditto
User since 12/6/10
HMG fly rods retailed for about $150, used maybe $50.
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
percision control by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE