SEARCH
MORE
Fishing Equipment

Mounting a transducer.

4/30/16 @ 5:36 PM
INITIAL POST
ere
User since 2/22/07
I've installed my helix 7si unit in my boat and I'm at the Transducer step in the install. Without getting into 'transom angle' figures as explained in the instructions, would I be able to get away with placing it in the same spot as the transducer I'm replacing?
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts
5/4/16 @ 9:24 AM
gordonsetterman
gordonsetterman
PRO MEMBER User since 12/15/08

Going on a flyin and trying to put together a portable fish locator system out of what I have since my portable Eagle Cuda took its leave. 

I bought a Vexilar suction cup mount system a few years back with intention of buying a high speed transducer. $100 now for the short period I'd use it.

i am wondering I have a clamp (metal) that electricians use to hang conduit that just happens to perfectly fit around my Vex iceducer and can be easily affixed to the suction mount system. All the sonar pulses come out of the boot on right? 

Not looking for anything high speed. Will this work or am I missing something?

5/2/16 @ 3:24 PM
ere
User since 2/22/07
Much appreciated guys. thank you.
5/2/16 @ 10:03 AM
nihsif
nihsif
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01
here's link to several videos.. for SI, important to keep clear of obstructions so sonar can shoot to the side... in some cases, you may have to trim up motor slightly to get a clear path ... that shouldn't be an issue, as side imaging works best at idle speeds enjoy your new electronics! https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=humminbird+transducer+mounting ...also, agree on putting something on to mount transducer to for flexibility and keeping holes in boat to a minimum here's an example Cabelas-Transducer-Mounting-Plates
5/2/16 @ 8:01 AM
fishmunkee
fishmunkee
User since 3/20/02
Put a piece of Starboard or similar material on the transom once you fill the holes and mount your new transducer to that. That way if you move/adjust it or get a new one you are putting holes in the Starboard and not your boat.
5/1/16 @ 7:36 AM
ere
User since 2/22/07
Thanks you guys keep the comments coming.
5/1/16 @ 6:29 AM
Grey Beard
User since 1/27/02
It's not often that the holes for one transducer bracket line up with another. You want to make sure the bottom of the transcducer is at least 1/8 to 1/4" below the bottom of the boat. Otherwise when cruising may not get a bottom reading. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfy55kL71ts If you have to drill new holes Marine silicone is not the way to fill old holes that are below the waterline. Use 3M 4000. This is info from a guy who does fiberglass work. Good luck, Grey Beard
4/30/16 @ 6:25 PM
Zwiegs
User since 1/10/12
I think you could. Bottom line is you want to make sure when the boat is sitting in the water that the bottom of the xducer is sitting square with the waterline or bottom of the lake if you know what I mean.
Displaying 1 to 8 of 8 posts

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE