Fishing reports and lake information for Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Ohio, Indiana, North Dakota and South Dakota

WABASKANG LAKE PERRAULT FALLS, ONTARIO

Sort posts by date: Descending Ascending

Original Post:

SIX PACK
SIX PACK
Level: General User
6/9/02 9:33 PM CST
FISHED FIRST WEEK OF JUNE BEST FISHING IN ALL THE YEARS WE WENT. WALLEYES WERE IN 2 TO 8 FEET OF WATER 1/8 OZ. WHITE JIGS WORKED BEST. WALLEYES FROM 12 TO 27 INCHES BUT ONLY 1 OVER 18 INCHES ADAY MAY BE KEPT. LAKE TROUT WERE ACTIVE BEST WAS A 12 POUNDER. GOOD LUCK SIXPACK

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 1,042
czar312
See Profile
8/23/15 7:30 AM CST
Our group fished Wabaskang August 15-18 out of Sleepy Dog Cabins. We were new to the lake also but thanks to a lot of you readers e-mailing me with info we were able to eliminate a lot of unproductive water.

Fishing was slow due to weather being warm up there. Last day the water temp finally dipped below 70 and the bite improved. Had plenty of fish to eat and brought limits home, marked fish basically everywhere we went and did some plain old lake exploration.

Best lures were minnow and jig or spinner and crawler with the crawler being preferred.

Sleepy dog was fantastic, the cabins are incredible in design, size and creative lay out. The boats are super to fish out of 17.5 outfitters with 40 hp Yamahas and livewells. You can be on any spot in the lake in 30 -45 minutes.

Definitely will be back!

ColoradoMS
ColoradoMS
8/9/15 11:27 AM CST
Wanted to post our experience as a first timer on Wabby. Our group of 6 stayed at Peffley's the last week in July. For some head scratching reason we decided to change things up from our yearly trip to Lac Seul out of Ear Falls. Last year we boated 50-80 Walleye per guy fishing the Steamboat narrows area.

Finding eye's in Wabaskang was tough as we moved from spot to spot trying to locate fish and find some sort of pattern. We spent 3 days without picking up more than 1 eye at any given spot. The wind blew 20-30 from the west and kept us from fishing Mean the first 3 days. It finally let up and we were able to pick up enough fish for dinner from the humps and hotel on Mean. We still averaged 2-3 walleye per guy/day and our spirits were drained.

We decided to portage over to Wine lake through the falls as we had nothing to lose with the fishing so incredibly poor. We finally found an area in Wine that held some walleye and provided some good action in the mid morning before shutting off.

We did have some good action with smallmouth throwing mepps spinners and caught plenty of Pike from 19-24".

Dave Peffley and Mel were just terrific guys. The cabins were average but clean. We have been spoiled fishing out of Evergreen with their terrific boats, live wells, 60 HP, etc... so it took some time to get used to these particular camp boats. Their fish cleaning house was terrific and kept spotless!

All in all, I don't think we will head back to Wabby, but I'm sure our lack of success was 90% due to our lack of knowledge of the lake. We fished extremely hard but could never find eye's on a consistent bite. I would certainly recommend Peffley's for anyone going to Wabaskang as Mel and Dave are as honest and friendly as they come.

Cheers!

vexman65
vexman65
7/8/15 8:05 AM CST
We fished 2nd narrows 3rd lake,second lake,ruby lake,keynote lake and the sanctuary. Thx

hockeybob
hockeybob
7/6/15 2:22 PM CST
My wife and I had a fabulous trip at Pefflys last week. Dave and Mel are fantastic. Very nice lodge and cabins. Our boat was new as well as motor. Great accommodations and nice people in camp. Fishing was good and mayfly hatch was in full swing. We managed 346 fish between walleyes, northerns and bass. Late evenings between 8:00-10:00pm was our best time for walleyes. I'm sure we would have done better if not for the hatch. We booked already for next year. Smile biggest walleye was 24", bass 19-1/2 and Northerns were all dinks. Perch were in 2ft of water in reeds but had to sort through a bunch to find a Jumbo. With this being our first time at Wabby I think we faired pretty well learning new water.

Bob

vegas492
vegas492
7/6/15 8:32 AM CST
My crew hit the mayfly hatch once... And we struggled. Had to get up really early and fish first light.

But....a few guys in our camps slaughtered the big fish during the mayfly hatch. I wasn't with them, but I saw their pictures and their stringers. They said they would go into any bay where the mayflies were hatching and float a light on top of the water. The mayflies came to the light and bright the fish in. They then cast their jigs and twisters into the feeding frenzy and caught their fish, including some really big fish.

I don't know if it is true, just something I had heard.

Vexman, sorry to hear that you struggled. I've been there during that hatch, not fun.

ColoradoMS
ColoradoMS
7/5/15 8:23 PM CST
Vexman, which part of the lake did you fish? Up by Peffley's or down south?

ColoradoMS
ColoradoMS
7/5/15 8:17 PM CST
Vexman, thanks for the report. 6-10 fish per day is indeed tough. I've been lucky to never hit the mayfly hatch as it's pretty apparant catching fish on a consistant basis is difficult at best. I'm hoping the eye's get cooperative in 3 weeks for our trip to Wabby.

vexman65
vexman65
7/4/15 5:37 PM CST
Just got home yesterday from wabby. Mayfly hatch was terrible all week long. We managed to get a limit of wAlleys apiece and ate a dinner but we averaged 6 to 10 fish a day caught. We tried all the different tributaries and same result along with varied depths. Good luck everyone.

JAY221
JAY221
7/2/15 7:33 PM CST
Peffleys is the only camp on the north end. Later, Jay

Walleye Will 16
Walleye Will 16
7/2/15 1:43 PM CST
Does anyone know of any lodges near the north end of wabaskang?

ColoradoMS
ColoradoMS
7/1/15 1:22 PM CST
jsmyers, I really believe you are correct. The slot has made a huge impact on the fisheries and reproduction. Couple that with more and more fisherman releasing the girls makes for sustainability. I know just my group alone has adopted and embraced releasing ALL walleye 18" and over. We keep our 17-18's for lunch and fish coming home. You are allowed one fish over 21", however, we have come to the conclusion that catching the big girls are a whole lot more fun than frying them.

I have no issues for groups keeping their legal limit or exercising their right to taking a bigger fish. Good luck to everyone if heading up in the near future. We are heading to Wabaskang for the first time in a few weeks. Counting down the days!

jsmyers
jsmyers
7/1/15 8:42 AM CST
I saw drptine's message from a couple of weeks ago about Wabby changing over the last ~20 years. I didn't see that anybody responded.

My grandfather started going to Wabaskang in the 70s, I started in 1985 when I was 5. We stopped going around 93 or 94 when my grandfather's mobility declined. Back then we went August or September. Then we went back in May 2011. We mostly target pike.

My experiences and everything I've read indicate that the fishery is much better than it was in the early 90s. The slot limits, fish sanctuaries, and changing ethics regarding keeping fish have made a big difference.

JAY221
JAY221
6/29/15 1:01 PM CST
Sorry, My mistake. 11 days until I get to cross the border headed up. Later,Jay

percheye1
See Profile
6/28/15 4:26 PM CST
I believe he was asking about fishing the refuge by the falls.

JAY221
JAY221
6/28/15 3:37 PM CST
I believe the walleye opener was May 16, 2015 but I could be wrong. Later, Jay

Displaying Posts 1 through 15 of 1,042
Launch Map Viewer

Remember Me
Setup New Account
Forgot Your Password?
Membership Benefits
Compare Account Types
Please Practice Catch And Release
Lake-Link asks you to please take a moment to visit our fine sponsors:
Custom Jigs & Spins Plano Frabill Chevy Dealers Of Wisconsin Humminbird St. Croix Rods The 60 Second Angler Jerry's Sport Service Midwestern Shooters Supply Hard And Soft Fishing Fenwick Baitmate

Lake-Link.com find us on facebook