SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

New Baiting Ban in northern WI

4/11/16 @ 5:33 PM
INITIAL POST
freeguideservice
User since 12/4/13
here is a link to a petition to help stop the new ban on baiting that took place in january 2016. They need as many signatures as possible if we have any chance to block the ban! Thank You!!!! https://www.change.org/p/scott-walker-repeal-the-ban-on-feeding-deer-in-vilas-forest-and-oneida-co
Displaying 46 to 60 of 247 posts
10/31/16 @ 5:42 PM
klobros
klobros
User since 12/12/13

Its a good thing the baiting ban is working! 90% of all (wildlife feed) is sold in non baiting counties.

New Baiting Ban in northern WI photo by klobros
10/20/16 @ 1:52 PM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

LS-- I agree they will check out a baited area!! I hope everyone understands what I mean by hunting like a wolf?? The almighty wolf which has proven time after time that they are the best hunters in this state and "we the people" of this state need to not let history repeat itself and start managing the wolves!! I know what the federal government says and I dont care what they say its time we do our part!! I will do my part by S.S.S. or a bad placed bullet whatever I have to do to get this state back on the right track!! Lets man up grow a pair and take this into our own hands!! I know I am and I hope you will too!! I know im going to get blasted as a poaching fool but thats fine!! The deer herd means more to me than some screwed up federal law!! Come on Feds Come and get me for protecting the herd!! 

10/18/16 @ 9:42 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

You must be part Indian and hunting at night.  What about the wolves that sit near corn piles? 

All jokes, don't take that seriously.  I know a few people though who said they have seen wolves by deer bait.  Definitely happens with bear baits.

My best buck up north was without bait.  I would not expect a big buck to come to bait, except for maybe during the rut if its looking for a doe. 

10/17/16 @ 2:48 PM
Casedog
Casedog
User since 10/4/11

I have said it many times-- The greatest hunters think and hunt like a wolf!! I have experienced the same thing of baiting - no baiting and here is what I know as fact-- a wolf uses no bait and 3 years ago our whole square mile was baited heavily for years even though it was banned for years and someone blew the whistle to the DNR and they cleaned house!! They busted up over 6 40 acre chunks and now nobody has the balls to bait around there anymore!! Here is what I noticed with no baiting(( 2 absolutely awesome ruts with seeing more bucks in one day then I would see in a year)) (( I saw a lot more does and fawns actually eating browse and not corn)) I'm not looking for an argument I'm just telling you what I noticed on our bait free square mile!! Deer sightings went through the roof!! And yes food plots, agriculture, deer scents, corn, apples, a heavy hung white oak, etc etc are all forms of bait so yes it's all perspective I started without bait then went to baiting then back to not baiting and I won't probably ever drop a bag of corn on the forest floor ever again  but I know I will continue to hunt for and like a wolf!! 

10/17/16 @ 2:28 PM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09

I agree ihookem.  If its done within the law its fine, but its the guys violating by dumping an entire bag that mess things up.  Those guys will probably keep doing it regardless.  Once you are breaking the law, you won't stop breaking the law because of a rule change.

I actually saw a guy who hung an empty bag on a tree stand last year.  Stupid enough to not only dump it, but leave the litter on his own stand like a big yellow flag.

10/15/16 @ 6:27 PM
ihookem
ihookem
User since 11/29/01

Most people know CWD is not caused by baiting. Seems the DNR needs a reason to ban bait , so CWD is the scapegoat. However, baiting has (FOR ME ) been a big problem where I hunt up north.  Ask a warden what the biggest problem is and baiting is a big one. I would like to see it banned . That is my opinion, and it is not exactly baiting. It is when a group of hunters come in and over bait the heck out of an area.  We had a bait ban in 2003 ? and there were still people out there baiting. They even told me they kept right on baiting. A half gallon of bait is not the problem, ten guys with 10 gallons is. 

10/15/16 @ 8:39 AM
Red1
Red1
User since 8/12/02

A baiting ban is not the answer, only an excuse for anti baiters, why not go to the source of the problem and shut down the pay for hunt deer farms come on guys where are the new and old infections showing up DEER FARMS

9/12/16 @ 10:01 AM
BrianWI_
BrianWI_
User since 6/19/09

As baiting gets banned, food based scents can work. As can deer urine. Some states are banning deer urine as well, hope Wisconsin doesn't. Although some synthetics are terrible, this one is really good, can't tell it isn't real pee.

http://store.nelsoncreekoutdoors.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=13_16&products_id=18

9/4/16 @ 10:34 AM
walleyeralph
User since 6/20/01

You don't need bait to kill deer anywhere in Wisconsin.Your chance of killing a deer greatly improves if there is no baiting in your area.More than anything don't shoot the does,just because someone in Madison says there are to many deer in your woods and gives out tags.I hunt the big woods and our group will never shoot a doe because we want bucks.The one good thing about the low deer numbers the last few years is everyone is leaving.Great and most are taking there bait piles somewhere else, and yes I hunt public land.I have one big advantage been hunted the same woods since 1968 and I found out where I should be opening day.

9/4/16 @ 9:49 AM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10

Sounds like theEdmunds paper is going to have an influence here in Wisconsin. Also sounds like a good study is going to get started soon.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/outdoors/2016/09/03/study-cwd-causes-10-percent-decline-deer/89597338/

8/7/16 @ 12:35 PM
John.Rennpferd
User since 6/3/10

That's not the newest. The Edmunds, and Devivo studies are newer.

8/6/16 @ 9:48 AM
standard_lengthy
standard_lengthy
User since 6/8/07

FNB

Except when the kill off entire herds of big Horn sheep to keep the rest from getting sick

http://www.rgj.com/story/news/2016/05/08/nevada-reluctantly-killed-bighorn-sheep-save-them/84115480/

7/29/16 @ 10:25 AM
str8shot
User since 11/19/10

IMO I say just ban artificial bait piling and be done with it. Right along with hunt specific food plotting wouldn't bother me either.

If you want to hunt over "bait" get permission to use a farmers land. Or find an oak tree... or an apple tree to sit by.

All the stress some people go through to thrill kill deer flat out amazes me sometimes. Gotta get them horns before your neighbor does though, right?!!!

Another benefit to banning baiting for good would be that it would likely clear out the woods of most of the slob hunters because they will likely quit if they have to work at it a little bit! = more room for me!

6/6/16 @ 3:48 PM
BeerTownFyreman
PRO MEMBER User since 6/15/01

You are absolutely right no luck, although I will say that any certified organic operation does just that with all equipment new to the farm, or that has been in operation at a non-certified location. It is still a small number. 

So what we learn from this, is that nothing is going to be 100%. And, as mentioned earlier it's only to "manage" since we have no cure. So we need to focus our attention on what gives us the biggest benefit. Using science, and not knee jerk reactions or emotion. Our resources are limited, so we need to focus our attention where it is most effective.

Speaking of a focusing our attention on high risk areas, has anyone looked up yet what needs to happen for live deer or elk to be moved from farm to farm in Wisconsin?

6/6/16 @ 2:41 PM
no-luck
User since 12/14/12

40 foot wide digger, 32 row corn planter, 20 foot wide sub-soiler, 16 row corn head and combine, 2 cat tractors on rubber trax, take a lot of time to wash these down, not going to happen when moving from field to field when planting time or harvesting time is limited.

Grain elevator washing down fertilizer spreader after each use by a farmer, or custom boom sprayer when moving from farm to farm, not going to happen.

Displaying 46 to 60 of 247 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE