MORE
Big Game Hunting

Number of Tags

1/8/14 @ 12:55 PM
INITIAL POST
kswales
kswales
User since 4/6/10
What is everyone's opinion on the number of tags that one person can receive for deer hunting? I hunt the CWD zone alot and think that 4 free tags per day is a little ridiculous.
Displaying 31 to 45 of 75 posts
7/23/14 @ 10:21 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
I thought GNC was a nutrition store.
7/23/14 @ 9:54 AM
PSE
PSE
PRO MEMBER User since 11/25/05
GNC, put your posts to a beat and you have a good rap
7/23/14 @ 7:26 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05
They NEEDED to take away the doe tags up north. Why call them dumb for doing something that NEEDED to be done! The population in many areas is in the tank. What shocks me is how some of you think because you pay taxes and live in the good ole USA its your right to shoot whatever you see during hunting season... Have you ever looked at just the DEER draw odds for some units out west?!?! Not even talking about elk, moose, big horn, mtn goat and some of the prized animals. Some people that live out there cant even hunt in their own back yard every year. They might have to wait 2 maybe 5 maybe 10 years between tags. I havent hit 30 yet but I am close and my first year of hunting back in 1998 you had to apply for a doe tag. They didnt give that many out even. I think too many people turned into big deer hog babies cause they got too use to the unlimited tags of the eary 2000's and lost sight of what hunting was really like in this state. We are owed nothing by the DNR. They are doing what they can with what they have. You want to make a difference call your local biologist or email them. I started to do that last winter and it has been eye opening and has given me a ton of respect for the guy. I even emailed kevin wallenfang the HEAD big game ecologist for the whole state and guess what... He CALLED me because he wanted to hear my story and my experience. These guys do care if you show them you care.
1/16/14 @ 11:29 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
I would go a step further, one buck and one doe tag per hunter regardless of weapon - that's it. Doe tags could not be used in buck only areas. I also agree that party tagging should not be legal as it is used more often than people think. It isn't legal for bowhunting, so why should it be legal for rifle hunting? The tradition excuse is lame.
1/15/14 @ 6:48 PM
esoxtomtom
esoxtomtom
User since 4/24/08
NORTH OF HWY 64 O FOR 4 YEARS
1/15/14 @ 4:15 PM
sassy 1
User since 8/25/09
deer drives has nothing to do with it ,hunt how you want,drive ,sit stand, stalk ,all i'm saying is shoot your own deer...crazy idea i guess Big Smile just my idea i've had enough conversation for today
1/15/14 @ 3:47 PM
sassy 1
User since 8/25/09
for many years group hunting was illegal,no need for it now,for one person to go out and shoot a bunch of deer for someone else to tag is ridiculous in my opinion..just my thoughts Cool
1/15/14 @ 3:03 PM
sassy 1
User since 8/25/09
one tag gun and one tag bow sounds good to me,also eliminate group hunting shoot your own deer Cool
1/15/14 @ 10:08 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
Well after talking with two pretty important people in the DNR in the last couple weeks I think its safe to say a LARGE part of Northern Wisconsin will be buck only this coming year Its been buck only by my cabin for 4 years now, maybe it was longer but I only bought the place 4 years ago. So business as usual LOL! Have to agree about the guys who don't really care too. I ran into a guy from MN bow hunting in northern WI a few years ago. He had wounded a doe the day before and didn't find it. He was heading back out to try and shoot another and said he didn't really care, there were plenty of tags. I told him I should go to MN and shoot anything I see because its not WI so who cares? He just looked at me funny, I didn't care though. I just walked away. Those guys drive me nuts, its one thing to fill a tag legally or you might even wound a deer on accident, but to act like you don't care about the animal you just wounded irritates me.
1/14/14 @ 8:19 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
I agree. You cannot change certain people. Some folks go out and get as many tags as they can, and shoot as many as they can. They don't understand deer populations, and just hear the drivel from the DNR that there are more than enough deer to support handing out all the tags. History has proven people cannot manage the resource without oversight.
1/13/14 @ 7:48 AM
Saronafish
Saronafish
User since 1/5/05
Well after talking with two pretty important people in the DNR in the last couple weeks I think its safe to say a LARGE part of Northern Wisconsin will be buck only this coming year so everyone that thinks they cant live off of one deer a year will get to remember what it was like "pre" buy all the doe tags you want. Its amazing how selfish people have got. I started hunting in 1998 when we still had the old "paper" back tags and people had to apply for an either or tag. Everyone was able to make it just fine back then. I don't understand how entitled our society has gotten in such a short period of time.
1/12/14 @ 5:07 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
I don't care if you eat the deer or not, you still have to give a conscious thought about the deer heard in the area you hunt. we hunters need to make good decisions in order to keep the resource. just because you can consume 4 deer doesn't make it a good choice. if everyone in the area shot 4 deer just because they could consume them, eventually the heard would dwindle and people would be complaining. I like venison, but I have no problem leaving some of it walk and eat something else during the year.
1/11/14 @ 8:25 PM
theimer
theimer
User since 12/11/05
I think if tags go to 12 dollars it would help some what but I think a good number will be sold still. it really hasn't slow the harvest in the the northern half of the state. I just use the herd control tags that come with my license I really have no need to go get tags. now eliminate all the doe tags from the license and then go to 12 dollars that would help even more. mankind have been abusing the resource since mankind been on the earth. you cant just say let the people manage the resource. it wont ever work. the dnr job is to manage the resource that's what they get paid to do. but they are in a no win situation. they have the law saying there only can be so many deer. then you have the hunter yelling for more deer. I think for the most part the dnr is doing a decent job if you look at the whole picture and not just from a hunters aspect of it. I think the herd was way over populated for many years and hunters got use to it and expected to have that herd for long time. now the herd in most areas is just below but pretty close where it should be for the environment. the deer are not starving and have no need to search for food during daylight. so you get way less deer seen. especially if weather conditions aren't right the deer can just sit tight now. I think most hunters don't know what 20 deer per sq miles looks like. they don't deer enough credit on how good they really can hide and not being seen when they don't want to be or pressured.
1/11/14 @ 1:29 PM
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
I also am in favor for 12 tags. If you truly need the meat, 12 dollars is nothing. If your just out there to rack up the buck tags or shoot them because you can, you'll think twice.
1/11/14 @ 11:49 AM
wally slayer
User since 1/19/05
will fish that would be awesome to see those cwd tags go to $12 a piece that would help slow down the brown its down and the my neighbor wants a deer so I shot him one or two but as stated before its our fault for pulling the trigger not the dnr and until hunters realize that nothings going to change and its sad I hope the dnr re structures the amount of tags and does some re zoning
Displaying 31 to 45 of 75 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
boat towed by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE