SEARCH
MORE
Big Game Hunting

2014 Elk Hunt

12/28/13 @ 4:57 PM
INITIAL POST
dc cady
User since 3/10/07
Getting real close to application time for the 2014 elk hunt. My brother and I have max points for Wyoming this year and plan on going on our 1st ever elk and guided hunt. We will be hunting in area 7 and hope our outfitter continues his string of success with us. Anyone else have plans? Also would like to hear stories of 2013 hunts.
Displaying 16 to 28 of 28 posts
2/27/14 @ 7:32 PM
dc cady
User since 3/10/07
Welllll, I did not draw in a tough unit with max points in Wyoming. Would have gotten a tag in area 7 but a large part of my outfitters lease burned last year so we tried a different unit and struck out. Another year of anticipation. Good luck to all that hunt this year!
2/19/14 @ 7:10 PM
dc cady
User since 3/10/07
Should find out any day now if we get drawn for a Wyoming tag. Good luck to all who are anxiously waiting. Please post if you are successful (or not).
1/10/14 @ 9:23 AM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
Frenchy; 6 points will draw you an archery hunt in western colo. in the Grand Junction area. Awesome hunt if you go with an outfitter who will have access across private to landlocked BLM. 325"+ bulls all over.
1/9/14 @ 9:35 PM
flyguy329
User since 1/25/06
34 in bighorns is tough. I grew up there and youre completely right about the private. Area 35 is top notch for public. Basically both sides of the highway, all the way up the mountain. Fairly difficult to draw (at least as a resident).
1/9/14 @ 9:24 PM
white frenchy
User since 3/9/05
Hunted in unit 34(Southern Bighorns) in Wyoming late Sept 2013 with two uncles. Dad was suppose to go also but had a battle with cancer that looks like he is winning at this time. Saw large herd of elk and lots of bugling for a couple days but were in an area that was inaccessible do to private land issues. Did see one nice bull and small bull in middle of unit on public. Overall good learning experience. Think it would be great unit for using an outfitter with access to private land or public land that is cut off by private land. But difficult to hunt on your own. This year my dad and I would like to Colorado, both have 4 or 5 points. Have some ideas and leads on where to go but always looking for info. Dad will hopefully be in decent shape since he does walk 3 to 5 miles daily now. Would be willing to spend money on outfitted hunt. Willing to use archery or first rifle season. Thanks White Frenchy
1/7/14 @ 10:13 AM
RodBend
RodBend'r
User since 5/19/04
Headed to Idaho for bow elk in September for the first time. Unit 31 Brownlee. Buddy has a cabin on the mountain. Really looking forward to it. Hoping to get a little reservoir fishing in too. Anyone hunt this area? By the sounds of it, it's not a "trophy" Unit. But, there are decent numbers of elk around I guess.
12/30/13 @ 2:22 PM
madforlabs
User since 12/20/12
dc, I envy your position. I've drawn unit 7 twice over the last 7 years. I killed a 340" 7x7 with a bow in 2007 and took a nice bull with my rifle in a blinding snowstorm in late November 2 years ago after blowing a shot at a monster 6x6 that September with archery gear. Sure hope I can draw the unit one more time while I can still run up and down those mountains! In the meantime, I'm planning on a muzzleloader elk hunt in NM for 2014. Killed a nice 6x6 this past fall and had so much fun I have to do it again!!
12/28/13 @ 7:02 PM
fishy
User since 1/12/02
Planning o an a Colorado 1st rifle season near Meeker with my daughter-a drop camp about 10 miles in. Last two trips-2010and 2012 I was able to get a bull at that camp- now its my daughters chance JIM
12/28/13 @ 6:21 PM
scare
User since 1/6/12
We plan on applying for blackpowder elk in Colorado. We have gone the past two years. In 2012 we got three bulls with five guys. In 2013 we got 1 cow and 1 bull with six guys. We are hoping to get drawn again. Nothing can quite match elk hunting in the mountains. scare
Displaying 16 to 28 of 28 posts

MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors
Quest Series Trolling Motors
Meet the all-new motors made with grit and guts – not glitz and glamour. The QUEST™ Series takes the best trolling motors ever made to the next level with a rugged build for rough waters. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - Quest Series Trolling Motors Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar
APEX Series Sonar
Welcome to the top. The APEX™ Series provides the clearest sonar imaging on the sharpest display the water has ever seen on any GPS chartplotter. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - APEX Series Sonar Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing fueled by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE