MORE
Archery

Finally got a recurve

4/29/16 @ 3:23 PM
INITIAL POST
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
I have always been interested in the challenge of taking a deer with traditional gear. So I finally broke down and bought a recurve. So much more fun than shooting a compound, or more of a challenge at least. I hoping to get good enough to take it in the woods this year. Bought a Samick Sage kit from 3 Rivers Archery. Great shop to work with. Starting with 35 pound limbs to work on form. Replacement limbs are pretty affordable so I can upgrade without breaking the bank. Should be a fun new hobby.
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
8/31/16 @ 1:40 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06

Still at it.  Had a little set back over the summer but have been shooting everyday for the past few weeks.  Got a set of heavier limbs for the bow and made up some heavier hunting arrows.  Should be a fun season coming up.  Plan is to hang up the compound for the entire season. 

5/15/16 @ 4:14 PM
chuckc
User since 3/21/14

This can get pretty in-depth.  Generally speaking, many of us traditional guys , when asked what arrow weight to strive for,  say to stay around 10 grains per pound of bow pull.

A 45 pound bow gets around 450 grains, a 75 pound bow gets around 750 grains.  You can go up higher and you can go lower, but understand that the lower you go, although the arrow goes faster, it also makes the bow incrementally noisier and even can damage the bow if you go too low.  Too low of an arrow and the bow cannot transfer enough of its stored energy into the arrow, taking it out on the bow and sometimes causing damage.

Heavier arrows grab up more of that stored energy and can quiet a bow, sometimes a lot, but they go slower.  Fast or slow equates to your aim point or gap.

If you keep with the same GPP ( grains per pound) as described above, there should not be a whole lot of difference between a 45 and a 75 pound bow in terms of aiming.  Heavier bows throw heavier arrows about the same speed as lighter bows throw lighter arrows.

There can be substantially more difference between bows, in part due to performance, and in larger part due to how you hold it.  High wrist vs low wrist will change things up.

Keep shooting.  Take note of how you are doing things on good days.  Sometimes how you hold the bow matters greatly.  Do it the same way every day, every shot, but first find out and figure out YOUR best way.

How you address the arrow with your fingers ( this one I would have to show you to make it easier), deep hook, vs finger tips; loose fingers vs pre-bent fingers..... matters greatly.  Again, find what you can do best, recognize that you are doing it, then do it every shot every day.

Same with each aspect of your shooting.  Give yourself time to learn.  It is easy when you have sights, especially front and back sights,  I mean... once they are set, you can go back to the same aim exactly no matter how you hold your tongue.  It is less easy when you have to do it by "the force".  But you CAN do it, if that is what you want.

ChuckC

5/14/16 @ 6:00 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06

Moved out to 15 yards.  While it is not pretty, the groups are better than my 10 yard groups 2 weeks ago.  

When shooting bows of different poundage, how much does your point of impact change, if any?  I read about people that shoot multiple bows and wondered how that worked.  

5/12/16 @ 8:35 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06

Found a good deal on some blemished Gold Tips so I'll  be able to do some arrow tuning.  

Groups are getting a little tighter with fewer fliers. Overall consistency needs some improvement though.  

Heading out soon on a stumping/shrooming adventure. 

5/3/16 @ 8:47 PM
chuckc
User since 3/21/14

Eventually you want to fine tune, but really, form trumps everything.  I advise... shoot what you got for a while and look for groups.  Not necessarily in the bull.  You can actually walk your arrow impact left and right, and even to a lesser degree up and down just by tuning and arrow spine changes, as well as by short or long draws and even by a clean and a less than clean release.   You don't HAVE to bare shaft tune, but it can make everything a bit better if you do ( and it works).  

Just thinking out loud.... if I can get a bare shaft to fly perfect, think how well the feathered shaft will fly, and how much leeway it will give you for little ooopses.  Ummm don't bare shaft with a broadhead.  If it planes, there is no telling where it will end up.

I have been shooting for ever and I have good and bad days too.  My ultimate response has been to learn how to be sneaky and get very close shots at game.  I can hit a deer kill zone at ten yards all day, even on a bad day.  At five, it is a gimme.

Chuck

5/3/16 @ 2:20 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06

Thanks for any and all advice.  No doubt that this is both fun and challenging.  One minute I'm shooting good, the next very poorly.  

Is there much that can be seen as far as arrows being tuned shooting fletcher arrows.     I am getting a pretty consistent nock left entry into the target.  I'm waiting on a clamp for my bitzenburger jig so I can do work on these arrows, don't want to pull fetching until then.  Or, is arrow tuning something to worry about once I get better form? 

5/3/16 @ 2:20 PM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
5/1/16 @ 9:50 AM
chuckc
User since 3/21/14
Traditional archery can be very addicting. It is fun, it is challenging, but it takes time and practice. It also takes some mind changes. Most folks born after the mid 70s were born into compound bows and the meteoric rise of technology. I am NOT saying that is bad... but it is different. Work on your form. Using a light bow to start is the smart thing to do. Get that form down. Get together with others that shoot traditional gear, they can often help you with the form. Be careful because there is also a lot of bad form out there. Get past the stigma that you need to shoot 30, 40 50 yards to go deer hunting. You need to change what you do to get within much closer range. I shoot deer at under ten yards almost every year ( most from the ground). You can too. Remember.... if you can shoot very well at 5 yards, go hunt, but limit your shots to 5 yards, until you can shoot well at 10 yards (and 15 etc). My last deer, a doe, was shot at 5 paces, from the ground, tucked against a tree in a marsh. Prior to that was a buck at about 12 yards, from the ground. It CAN be done and you can do it. Later, the next huge step is to make your own gear. Arrows always come first, but when you build a bow, the arrows, maybe more stuff, and take a deer cleanly with that gear, the feeling is undescribeable. If you can, find a place where you can shoot your bow in the woods and fields. Get a couple arrows with judo points on them and "stump shoot". Pick leaves, flowers, sticks, clumps of dirt and go have fun at all kinds of yardage. Stupid far shots are very fun and you will surprise yourself after a while. and no critters get hurt in the process. I actually find this more fun and addictive than the hunt itself. Good luck, PM me if you have questions. I live just north of Madison. Chuck
5/1/16 @ 8:46 AM
no bs
User since 4/13/12
I shot a recurve for many years. A great way to practice is to get close to the target, close your eyes and focus on your release.
4/30/16 @ 11:34 AM
lazyfishr
lazyfishr
User since 5/29/06
Here's my best grouping at 10 yards after shooting a few days. Can usually get 3-4 arrows to group and then there are the usual fliers. Tried 20 yards and kept 5 of 6 in the target. Tried 30 yards, my normal compound practice range. 1 for 6. 1 was 5 feet short of the target, another 2 feet over, and misses on both sides. I'll spend a lot more time at 10 yards for now. Biggest challenge for me is not knowing what I'm doing wrong. Might look into joining the local archery club if they have a decent number of traditional shooters.
Displaying 1 to 14 of 14 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish seduced by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE