MORE
Archery

Glidden area reports (Ashland Cty )

9/30/14 @ 9:26 PM
INITIAL POST
musky nut
musky nut
User since 7/20/12
Anybody having any luck, any deer around this year? I haven't had the chance to make it up to the cabin this year at all. Pretty bummed about that. Thanks for any info.
Displaying 31 to 40 of 40 posts
10/27/14 @ 8:53 AM
lakeshiner
lakeshiner
User since 7/20/09
In my opinion, it was the perfect storm. Doe tags started it. Buck poles with 5 does and 1 buck, I seen quite a few. Remember the October T-Zone anterless hunts too? Wasn't just the regular seasons taking out does, they had extra hunts too. After hunters knocked the deer numbers down, then the wolves came on strong. They now help keep the herd from growing, along with high bear numbers, etc. Wolf numbers were not as high back then. I see them almost every year now, hardly ever saw them 15 years ago. Did see them every year by Clam Lake, they have to tend to the elk after all. Now throw in back to back tough winters and its not a real surprise. I'd also say you can't look at the northwoods as one entity. There are spots with a decent deer population yet, they aren't gone. But when you look at it overall, there is still farmland areas, private areas with food plots, public areas, etc. Its not all the same.
10/24/14 @ 9:56 AM
RodBend
RodBend'r
User since 5/19/04
"FINALLY, someone that understands what started the decimation of the deer herd. Handing out antlerless tags like it is trick-or-treat for the kids, is what started this all." Sorry, but I strongly disagree. It did not "help" but its definitely not what started the decimation of the deer herd in Northern Wisconsin. I live and hunt in N. Taylor and S. Price Co's. Public land National forest. We still have a healthy deer pop. in most area's. It's not what it used to be, but there are deer in good numbers. We had the doe tags thing here too. and yes, like I said it didn't help the matter. Next, we also have a very healthy bear pop. Along with too many coyotes and bobcat as does Ashland County. The one thing we don't have and never really did have is a wolf problem. (look at the 2013-2014 Wis. DNR Wolf Zone map for example). So why is it that we here in the southern part of the Northern Forest of Wisconsin still have good deer numbers and bascially no deer in Northern Wis. (ashland co for example).?? And yes, I've hunted deer, bobcat and coyote in Ashland and Bayfield counties for many years.
10/23/14 @ 5:29 PM
wiscofishing
User since 12/29/07
I've been marking timber between Glidden and clam lake going on 4 weeks now. Covering 300 acres I have seen no New rubs, scrapes and about 10 piles of droppings....total. I've seen 3 deer up there while working (a few more on the side of the road driving to and from). "Many" more deer down here by P.F. where I hunt. Good year for grouse though and some elk are getting huge!
10/23/14 @ 1:03 AM
Stl Flyn
User since 2/26/06
FINALLY, someone that understands what started the decimation of the deer herd. Handing out antlerless tags like it is trick-or-treat for the kids, is what started this all. I think you have to look at what the percentages of all the deer mortality is. I think you would be surprised. Hunters, Poachers, Car Collisions, Bear, Coyote, Wolves, Bobcat. Then add in the fact of animals, that are not recovered, and winterkill. I would bet that is up around the Wolf pack.
10/22/14 @ 7:30 AM
pig_eyes
User since 8/6/07
We hunt the same area and the wolves are hardly the ones to blame. The real problem is irresponsible harvests by hunters over the last 5 years or more coupled with two brutal winters. Not to mention a bear population that is out of control. Its really not that hard to fathom when you think about it.......if a doe and a buck get shot (which the guys that come up one weekend a year and drop 1000 pounds of corn regularly do) that means for every doe that there is left she has to have two fawns just to MAINTAIN the population. Anybody who hunts the bigwoods know two fawns is a rarity, especially with the bear population along with cold springs and stressful winters. Do they help, NO, not at all.
10/21/14 @ 10:03 PM
musky nut
musky nut
User since 7/20/12
Hey that's a good point, never thought about it like that. Oh well at least Northwoodslabs will be happy! Lips Sealed
10/21/14 @ 9:56 PM
musky nut
musky nut
User since 7/20/12
Anybody else in the area with some reports? Or did the wolves eat all the deer???
10/1/14 @ 10:06 PM
musky nut
musky nut
User since 7/20/12
Pig eyes, PM sent..
10/1/14 @ 6:20 AM
pig_eyes
User since 8/6/07
Musky, my uncle has been running cameras over mineral all summer with little to show. More fawns on camera than last year which is comforting to see. Zero, yes zero bucks on camera since May which isnt terribly concerning as it usually takes a cold snap and some rut action to get those bigwoods bucks moving. PM about where you are at! I was up last weekend and got three more stands and cameras going.
Displaying 31 to 40 of 40 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
solid hook sets by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE