DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

CWD in Wisconsin

11/4/19 @ 3:09 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Well LittleLuck that was quite a rant about a lot of things regarding deer hunting. What all hunters want is for our deer to forever run free in our wild lands nationwide! I think every hunter if he/she is a hunter wants that. The fact is we DON'T KNOW -YET! Scientists in a lot of states and provinces are working trying to understand what we have on our hands and if there is a threat long term to our deer and elk populations and if it can become a problem for the human population. What I want is for people to understand that this disease is no joke. We need to continue to demand the DNR studies the disease and find out all we can

Displaying 90 to 104 of 387 posts
1/24/24 @ 8:47 PM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
PRO MEMBER User since 1/12/14
Rw is a good guy. His views are different but I respect him. No need to degrade him. 
1/24/24 @ 6:42 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
Robert, I can tell your older.  Lol.   Noone said the dnr wants cwd. They do receive money for it though.  Never let a crisis go to waste.   In my opinion, it's a waste of money.  It's been here forever.  It's not going away.  The deer population has always been good and healthy until the dnr gave out too many tags and encouraged hunters to kill everything.  Cwd doesn't put a dent in the deer heard and doesn't have a detrimental effect.  
1/24/24 @ 6:21 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
Perhaps this why some are so very defensive of this cash cow.  Could it be???  Hmmmmmm
1/24/24 @ 5:47 PM
Brother of the brush
User since 1/22/12
Without cwd, 100's, maybe 1000's, maybe more would lose their high paying jobs.  Pretty easy to figure out why they keep it at the top of the list.  Same could be said for nearly all gov. agencies.
1/24/24 @ 1:38 PM
OneFineDay
User since 7/22/12
TURN THE PAGE, my heavens. 
1/24/24 @ 1:30 PM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08
The underlying argument is that in some way the DNR actually wants CWD here, and the money being spent on it is somehow proof of that?

LOL
1/24/24 @ 12:42 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
Seems a simple "opps I was wrong" would have been a more appropriate response.
1/24/24 @ 12:32 PM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08
And to all those states without CWD.....boy are they sure missing out on a funding opportunity!  What are they thinking not trying to allow CWD into their borders???  LOL.

Your post just shows that CWD is costing hunters and tax payers money!

I'll say it again, claiming the DNR is somehow happy that CWD exists in WI is absurd.
1/24/24 @ 12:04 PM
1/24/24 @ 11:50 AM
rufflefeather
PRO MEMBER User since 10/23/20
the people who support all this cwd nonsense and deer culling / eradication which is happening all over the country and in Rheinlander WI 2023 are the types who refuse to question anything, they normally put there hands over there ears and say lalalala im not listening, your dumb  lalalala   when facts are presented ... just saying 

my only question is this has been discovered 50 years ago,, how long has it been around before that?  could it be natures way of keeping populations in check for ever?  it may have been around forever
1/24/24 @ 11:20 AM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08
Fishin.....Yes, the DNR receives money from the feds (PR funding).

Our opinions differ, however in that I believe DNR would receive these funds regardless of CWD.  DNR chooses where to spend that money, and is wisely focusing some of it on CWD research.
Making claims that DNR somehow wants, or likes, or desires CWD in WI simply because of the money is absurd.  And I know you did not make that claim. :)
1/24/24 @ 11:12 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
RW, 
It brings me a lot of joy knowing that we agree that the DNR gets government funding for CWD. One point I would like you to consider is that the bigger of an issue the DNR makes about CWD the more funding Washington will send. So, it's not the residents that gets the money its DNR. I'm not advocating that the DNR should ignore the issue. 
1/24/24 @ 10:50 AM
robertwhite
User since 3/18/08
"You don't think that the government provides funding for CWD research?"

Certainly the DNR is researching the effects of CWD, they would be foolish not to.

Here’s a link to wildlife research projects: Wildlife research | | Wisconsin DNR

Some CWD focused projects for sure, among others.  All seem to be funded by PR dollars, CWD or not.  I wonder if those deer projects are some special “CWD only” PR funds?   Doubtful.  Having CWD present or not, WI would receive similar allotments in PR and would just spend it elsewhere if CWD was nonexistent.  Wouldn't that be nice.

Additional costs associated with CWD: sampling and disposal. Sampling is voluntary by hunters and could be viewed as a service the DNR is expected by hunters to provide.  Same with disposal costs. Carcass movement, processing and disposal | | Wisconsin DNR

CWD is not a money maker for this state, rather a drain from funds that could go elsewhere.  DNR doesn’t have the luxury to ignore this.  

DNR likes CWD because "they get money for it"…..LOL!
1/24/24 @ 10:38 AM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
Forgive Bob, he's a little slow.
1/24/24 @ 10:26 AM
FishinXtreme
FishinXtreme
Some are screaming that it's the end of the world. CWD has been around for 50 some years.
Displaying 90 to 104 of 387 posts
Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fish located by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE