DEALS
SEARCH
MORE
Wisconsin Hunting Reports/Discussion

CWD in Wisconsin

11/4/19 @ 3:09 PM
Swamp buck
User since 1/23/09

Well LittleLuck that was quite a rant about a lot of things regarding deer hunting. What all hunters want is for our deer to forever run free in our wild lands nationwide! I think every hunter if he/she is a hunter wants that. The fact is we DON'T KNOW -YET! Scientists in a lot of states and provinces are working trying to understand what we have on our hands and if there is a threat long term to our deer and elk populations and if it can become a problem for the human population. What I want is for people to understand that this disease is no joke. We need to continue to demand the DNR studies the disease and find out all we can

Displaying 16 to 30 of 387 posts
3/11/24 @ 8:57 AM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
Quote: "FB, are you still looking for a link to that quote? I don't believe you got that info correct.  Please provide a link or retract false information."

LOL. The information is correct. You can be a scientific denier until your days end if you want. We've seen time and time again your selective belief in science. As I said I LISTENED to Jeff's presentation on the '23 deer season. Feb. 28th in Madison. That is when he stated that fact (the one you're erroneously denying). It's not my fault you're not informed on the most recent information. Now please remove your post that ignores facts and promotes falsehoods.  
3/10/24 @ 12:31 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
FB, are you still looking for a link to that quote? I don't believe you got that info correct.  Please provide a link or retract false information.  Fillet, the facts are clear, older deer have higher CWD infection rates and bucks have higher infection rates than does or fawns.  https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/WildlifeHabitat/prevalence
And CWD is a fatal disease if they don't die of something else first.

You can "believe" and say whatever you want.   I'll stick to facts and data.  I'm no expert and don't know everything so I look to those who know way more than me.
3/9/24 @ 4:47 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
Not sure age has anything to do with contracting it.  It's the environment.  Cwd has been going on for years, yet lots of huge bucks are still being killed by hunters.  
3/8/24 @ 4:54 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
This is what I actually said.  Scroll down if you want to read all of what I said and for context.  I just love it when folks speak for me.

"I like to hunt bigger bucks.  My main concern with CWD is that older bucks are more prone to the disease and may become fewer and fewer in the wild which would affect my hunting and enjoyment of the sport.  If folks are only concerned about venison for the freezer, then their concerns about CWD are probably lower.  And that is a perfectly legitimate perspective also. As are concerns or lack of concern about eating infected deer.  (I'm not overly concerned at this point, and don't get my deer tested yet.  But I am glad folks are studying that aspect also and that I have the option to test if I want to.)"

Edit:
I've looked for that Jeff Pritzl qoute but couldn't find it.  FB, please provide a link.  Also, there is a difference between what hunters shoot and CWD prevalence rate by buck age.  I would guess that many hunters are holding out for older and bigger bucks than even 10-20 years ago.
3/8/24 @ 3:55 PM
Fin Bender
Fin Bender
User since 9/16/11
Gillespie has talked about CWD being the demise of his passion; chasing older large antlered bucks. His theory being that these older bucks are being eliminated by CWD.

I hope he listened to Jeff Pritzl's summary of Wisconsin deer harvest. Jeff pointed out that the avj. age of bucks harvested in CWD zones is increasing. I ​found that quite interesting.

3/8/24 @ 2:27 PM
Turkeyslayer2
User since 8/28/11
Without starting another debate with you Gillespie what that article doesn't account for is the fact that the more testing that was done every year got a higher and higher infected result rate.  Why?  Simple - they were performing more tests in a larger area so your going to get more positive results.  It's not rocket science.  It goes back to my point that I believe the disease was around for much longer than everyone thinks.  We weren't testing for it in the 70's, 80's and early 90's so nobody knew if it was here or not.  I believe it was.  If you have 100,000 infected deer in the state and nobody tests for it nobody knows it exists.  If you test a few deer in a few counties you get a few positive results.  If you test thousands of deer in every county you'll get a lot more positive results.  That article never mentioned once how all that testing and radio collared research is going to stop the disease.  I still believe they're going about it backwards.  If they want to spend tons of money on research spend it researching how to kill the prions in the soil or how to stop them from infecting the deer.  Testing deer is futile, repetitive, wastes lots of money and in the end gets us nowhere.
3/8/24 @ 9:33 AM
3/1/24 @ 1:09 PM
fishfillet
User since 1/8/13
Regardless, I don't think we're being told the truth.
2/28/24 @ 12:12 PM
kona77
User since 6/20/13
The Dept. of Agriculture, Trade, Consumer Protection (DATCP) regulates deer farms..  I believe most folks agree these farms/facilities should end.
2/28/24 @ 6:13 AM
44/45
PRO MEMBER User since 3/9/11
Deertroller, isn't it always about the money? However, I believe that they are not regulated by the DNR. 
2/27/24 @ 6:32 PM
Deertroller
Deertroller
User since 4/30/15
Can anyone think of a GOOD reason to allow deer farms?  It seems they are the source of much of the problem.
2/26/24 @ 10:01 AM
Turkeyslayer2
User since 8/28/11
JC  -  Hard to tell if you're throwing the wolf thing in at the end of a very good read for bait to get people going on that topic or not.  Was it for fun or do you actually want wolves brought to Dane County?  Anyway some very good points on CWD.
2/25/24 @ 6:15 PM
huntfish
User since 6/16/03
CWD will never be eliminated or controlled unless herd is virtually wiped out for a few years. Bugs the snot out of me regarding baiting ban. Game farm deer gets infected, and feeding ban put in place? How dumb is that? Eliminate the deer farm, as CWD will always exist with prions in  penned up area with 30-50 deer. That in no way should affect general public ban. Public land deer hunters get the shaft, trying to compete with legal private food plots that are never harvested. Deer congregating in same agricultural fields and private food plots day after day after day. Private land owners manage the deer herd. Not the DNR. More deer than ever now on private, as public land mainly barren of deer or food. DNR want more hunters? Easy fix.
2/24/24 @ 1:43 PM
Gillespie
User since 2/6/19
Appreciate your thoughts JC.  Consider checking into scrapie disease in sheep.  It's also a TSE / misfolded protien prion disease.   It's been around for over 250 years.

When the best experts in the world say it's a misfolded protien called a prion, that's good enough for me.  And it's what I'll go with until they learn more about it and say it's something different.  Throwing in the towel or sticking my head in the sand is not how I operate.  Always need to learn and grow to make progress.

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/ourfocus/animalhealth/sa_animal_disease_information/sheep-goat/disease-info/index

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scrapie
2/24/24 @ 11:52 AM
JC-Wisconsin
User since 4/1/05
Some of my feelings with CWD spending and management:

1) Spending money on research for how to manage the deer herd to stop the progression of CWD - complete waste of money, it can't be managed out of the wild.  The only way to stop the spread from a management perspective is to kill all deer in an area, keep it void of deer for years, and then reintroduce deer at a later time.  Not going to happen, let alone it is impossible to do.  Kill all the deer to make sure they don't catch CWD?  That's management!      Studying CWD propagation, population control studies, old bucks vs. young buck potential spread....makes no difference, the disease will spread.  Maybe it can be slowed down and delay things for a couple of years, but the cat is already out of the bag.

2) Spending money on research for potential vectors - toss up.  I would guess alfalfa, ticks, scavengers and predators potentially have a larger role than currently known.  To guys 100% on board with prion theory, this would be an important one to study.  If found that ticks are a huge cause, perhaps that can be addressed.  If crows are flying everywhere dropping bombs of prions from above....that might be good to know....  (I still am skeptical on the idea that a chunk of protein without DNA/RNA is the cause of a disease anyway, so is looking for prions in vectors even an indication these vectors are spreading the disease?  Again for me...toss up, but at least not a complete waste of money).

3) As far as baiting bans - complete waste of effort, and potentially pushes more hunters out of the sport, which curtails population management, as the only human-managed tool DNR has to reduce deer populations are enough hunters.  Baiting bans don't work to curtail a disease with such long incubation periods, but at least "we did something."  Doing "something" doesn't work.  Side affect of less retail sales and loss of some hunters is for nothing gained from the CWD perspective.  Taking away the freedom of placing a food product on the ground is a lot to digest.

4) Spending money on vaccine development - probably a good idea either way.  If prions are the true cause of disease (and not some sort of symptom of an infection or other environmental/biological issue), a lot will be learned (by failure and success), and it may potentially lead to more applicable therapies for Parkinsons, CJD, etc. as these diseases are so similar. 

5) Spending money on disease testing?  Should be up to the consumer - if the consumer wants it tested, pay for it.  Since human cases haven't been identified while the virus has been active for probably over 60 years, some people would be rightfully upset to use their tax dollars to pay for someone else's test.  If it isn't a concern for them whether or not a deer has a different chunk of protein, why should they pay for your test?  

I say save the money and invest it in our wolf program to ensure their population is viable.  Use the funding to annually release wolves in Dane County to ensure the species thrives.

Displaying 16 to 30 of 387 posts

MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova
The Ulterra® and Terrova® are newly upgraded to keep you at the top of your game and always in the thick of it. More maneuvers. More capabilities. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: MINN KOTA - UPGRADED Ulterra and Terrova Advertisement

HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging
It's showtime. We've expanded the performance of our MEGA Imaging®? technology with the introduction of MEGA Live Imaging™?. PRODUCT SPOTLIGHT: HUMMINBIRD - Humminbird MEGA Live Imaging Advertisement

Copyright © 2001-2024 Lake-Link Inc. All rights reserved.
No portion of this website can be used or distributed without prior written consent of Lake-Link, Inc.
This website may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a small commission.
Lake-Link Home
fishing equipped by
MENU
MORE TO EXPLORE